Pages

Quick Notmato Sauce


I gotta have me some Italian, and while I love pesto, red sauce offers a lot of options from pizza to chili, even Notmato soup on those really cold days.  Borrowing from a very nice Nomato recipe using raw foods, I make this quicker version using canned foods. I freeze in 1/2 cup servings to add to ground meats with brown rice noodles or just plain old brown rice with veggies and cheese added. I tend to make mine spicy.  I am always short on time, so I have often used canned goods to speed up the process. 

My quick version is as follows:


1 can sweet potatoes (drained and rinsed of syrup)
2 cans carrots (keep the juice)
1 can beets (keep the juice)

Blend the Carrots and Sweet Potatoes in batches adding carrot juice and dispense into a 4-quart pot on medium heat with any unused juice. 

Add:
Bay Leaf and start simmering.

Add 1 tbsp each:
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Oregano
Parsley
1 tsp Paprika

2 tbsp White Italian Wine Vinegar

Let simmer!

Blend the beets using beet juice and add to the Carrots and Sweet Potato mixture.
Salt to taste.

Use this as a marinara, gluten free pizza sauce or add water and a little whole milk or cream to make a darn tasty gluten-free tomato soup.

Spice it up if you wish.  Personally, I like the added flavor of the chili mix even on my pizza:
These spices are in addition to those in the Quick Recipe (above)

1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp ground Cayenne pepper
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Paprika





No comments:

Post a Comment