Pages

How Sweet It Is!!

Gluten-free, wheat-free breads come in all variety of other refined carbohydrates. Rice, Potato, Almond, Tapioca, and Garbanzo flour have all ended up in my kitchen. While a lot of processed carbs affect me, it's not enough to make me want to leave them alone entirely. I've found moderation can make a sweet treat out of a half-piece of bread. Especially when it's French Toast!  Here's the recipe:


Gluten-Free French Toast with Acorn Squash

I started with a slice of Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free bread which makes a nice 2.5 pound loaf in just a couple hours in the bread machine. You can use any bread -- even wheat.

1 organic egg 
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup cooked Acorn Squash (banana works well too)

Break the egg on a flat dish or plate. Mix in the vanilla with a fork. Add the squash or banana if desired. Drop the bread onto the mix pricking lightly with a firm and dressing the fruit on the surface. Let sit to absorb the egg. Heat skillet to medium with butter or preferred oil. 


Add the French toast and pour any leftover egg and the mix that wasn't absorbed on or next to the toast (my egg but came out sweet enough to be made as a treat all by itself so I'm planning on having this on a piece of fried Mozarella). Flip the toast, and when both sides are cooked up nicely, get ready for your treat. 



Serve with a little organic Agave nectar, a side of squash/banana and fried mozzarella to enjoy a taste of old redesigned and better than ever. (I always freeze cooked squash in 1/2 cup servings see my frozen pantry)


Be Inventlive!
Enjoy!